Thursday, January 15, 2009

FIRE-AHGO

Two nights ago, after having dinner with the fam and watching the children study, I ventured off to my sanctuary. My cozy room which comforts me and brings peace to my unfamiliar surroundings. I went to sleep around 9:30 and was awaken by sreaming. I layed there thinking, wow, these people are really loud! Then I heard my name. KAYLEEETA!!! I jumped from my bed and opened my door to a stairwell completely filled with smoke. I ran up to the family room where are all children were crying and talking loudly...I couldn't understand anything! All I knew was that there was a fire downstairs, directly below my room and that they didn't seem to know what to do. We ran to the top floor(the house is 4 storeys), to the entrance to the roof. The gate was locked. The kids pushed and screamed, gasping for fresh air. About a minute later, Samuel ran up with a key to open the door. I have never been in such a sufficating experience. I couldn't breath and neither could the children. I felt so helpless as I held them and tried to some how calm them down. Once the door was opened the children filed out to get fresh air. Their little eyes were full of tears. Tears from fear and from the massive amount of smoke engulfing the entire house. Pastor climbed down the side of the house and began breaking the windows to the room. The room that was on fire was one of the boys rooms. The fire started when Philemon went downstairs to collect some books which were under his bed. While there, his bedding caught on fire by the candle he was using, but he didn't even notice. Nepal goes without electricity for 16 hours or more, each day! This makes studying at night impossible without candles. The children are smart with fire and treat it respectfully. This incident could of happened to anyone! It wasn't even carelessness. After about 20 minutes, the fire was out. While on the roof we all held on tight to eachother and prayed! It was a real bonding experience which I had been praying for. The Lord works in mysterious ways! Nepal homes are built within feet of eachother and there is no way to get a fire truck through the skinny connecting roads. It's really dangerous! Luckily, the room that was on fire was one that was easily reached. Had it been any other room, I don't know how they would of put it out. Also, it was a room on the lowest level, again, I don't know how they would of put it out if it were any other room! One miracle about this whole situation is that Johnathan, the youngest boy, usually goes to sleep in that room right after dinner. For some reason he stayed up with the rest of the children. He could of been seriously injured if not killed had he been in that room. The other miracle is that silly me usually wears ear plugs to bed. Dogs barking, horn bleeping, loud music, etc keeps me from my beauty sleep. For some reason, I didn't put my ear plugs in that night! Thank God!! The pastor said he yelled for me alot and that I didn't answer. He thought I passed out because of the smoke. So glad I didn't cause I think they would of just left me there :-) I am so blessed to be alive and to still have a passport. I was thinking while the place was on fire...G, I should of grabbed my passport. No worries tho, it's safe!!
About two months ago, while praying for Nepal, I had a dream. In that dream, I was in Nepal and there was a fire in the house. I was filled with fear but I heard the Lord say, " I will spare You". I shared this dream with a few of you. The night of the fire was like dejavu for me. I had so much peace because I could hear the promises of the Lord during all the chaos. It's so beautiful how the Lord warned me and gave me peace!
Yesterday we went for an hour drive up a curvy mountain. It was so beautiful! We climbed up to the top and overlooked and prayed over all of Kathmandu, Pohkara and Bhaktapur. We also saw the mountain range. I saw the small peak of Mount Everest!!!!!! Took lots of pictures but they didn't turn out so well since it's so foggy and gloomy here.
It's been one week since I have left home! I am loving it but missing you all lots!! Please continue to pray for my safety! Also, because of the fire, there is quite a bit of need. If you would like to send money please email me and let me know. Loving you all!

1 comment:

  1. Kelita,
    I am so glad you are okay and safe from the fire. God does work in strange ways! I have been enjoying your blogs-- You are a great writer! Continue to keep us updated. I am constantly thinking and praying for you! I miss you lots. You are amazing K!
    -Lexi

    ReplyDelete